Friday 3 April 2015

Evaluation Introduction

Evaluation Introduction

For my magazine front cover, I looked at the metal magazines that follow a common convention. My front cover includes a long shot of the model, cover lines, promotions, mast head, colour scheme, features, date price, bar code and additional photos of the interior. I kept these traditional conventions in order to appeal to my target audience, yet interest a wider audience. 











I also used the advice from my Target Audience Questionnaires, that can be found, here, here and here.
The masthead I used follows the common conventions of any magazine. I followed the typical conventions of columns on my contents page also; however I wasn’t satisfied with just using those. So I then decided to examine various magazines in order to get an idea of how to make my magazine look professional. I looked at a variety of different magazines such as music and fashion.

















Whilst doing my primary research, I found out that my target audience preferred simple layout, and also discovered that the majority were most attracted to a magazine by its front cover, so I worked hard to make this part of the product look right.  Through my research into magazine front covers, I found out that magazine layouts can vary massively. However, I decided to stick with the views of my audience and that is why I chose to have a simple, but very effective front cover, contents page and double page spread. I also decided to stick with one main image on the front cover with two smaller at the side, in order to make my magazine cover look concise and not too crowded and to also advertise the posters inside it.



When photographing my main image, I decided to stick with conventions and have a full body long shot, as whilst I was conducting my research of magazines on the market this type of image was frequently used to show what they are wearing and what they are doing/holding.  




















In my research when I was looking at magazines, I found that my target audience liked a distinct colour scheme throughout magazines, and whilst the majority preferred darker tones, many also liked to see bright bold colours, so I decided to include a mixture of both, and chose a bold red against subtle colours.
My front cover, contents page and double page spread all had the same colour schemes of red, black, whites. I decided to choose these colours specifically as I thought they would entice the audience; however they also matched well with my main image.
As I mentioned before, I placed my masthead at the top of my magazine’s front cover, as this was a frequent convention used. This was more appealing in my opinion. On my contents page I followed the conventions of using columns of information and right hand third. Finally, on my double page spread, I have the name of the magazine and a page number at the bottom of the page following the magazine’s colours scheme. I also took some quotes out from the interview and made them larger.  I used these conventions, because after looking at the magazines already established – most of them seem to follow these conventions and they work well. Also, it was really important to come up with a good name for my magazine that would reflect the style of my media text

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete